Saturday, January 29, 2011

oh man...this isnt good.

look what ive gotten myself into.  another flipping money pit   hobby.  ive been on you tube trying to learn how to crochet.  this isnt good...seriously. 

my chain is terrible.....i cant figure out how to hold my yarn, the chain, the hook.....its all so confusing.  i cant get a rhythm down for the life of me.

My father knows how to crochet.  its something ive always wanted to learn from him.  this is a guy who can also build you a beautiful wooden sofa table.  he is a very talented man.  but guess what.....he is on vacation!

he made me the above dishcloth.  im not a big dishcloth person.  they start to stink too fast for me....but for him i use it.   I heart my daddy. 

about 10 years ago he made me this above afghan.  my house was VERY country at that time.  

i made the mistake this week of surfing lots of blogs and have seen so many adorable afghans, that i couldnt help myself.  i bought a pack of hooks and some basic yarn to practice with.  have you seen this blog?  ATTIC24
prepare yourself....once you see her granny squares youll be like me.  dont say i didnt warn you.

anyone want to come over and teach me how to do this?  ill make you dinner .... heck maybe even dessert.

10 comments:

deborah said...

I'll come and help you! Hold your yarn loosely, wrapped around one finger for a bit of tension, and just practice making chains until you are comfortable. I hold my hook with my fingers wrapped around the hook (and I can even crochet in the dark, lol) but some hold it like a pencil...whichever is more comfortable for you. Feel free to contact me at any time, if the above has helped any at all! All you are doing is making connected circles, when you see how they are made, it makes it much easier. Good luck, crocheting is so soothing, I do it to quiet my nerves.

KP said...

I'd love to help but I think 5,000 miles is probably a little far for a lesson. When I was learning I just kept making a chain until I could do it easily and that took a little while (the chain measured the length of my school playground). Once you have mastered that, all the other stitch types are just variations of the same. It is well worth learning. You can do so much with it.

Annie said...

I know what you mean. Isn't Lucy at attic 24 amazing. I love all her tutorials I have recently finished a granny square blanket using her pattern and have a bag of snowflakes ready for next Christmas ! Keep practicing it can only get easier.

Mike and Jen said...

Bobbi- If you're serious, I'm local. I could help, but maybe your dad will be back before we got together.

Jamie said...

If only Vegas weren't so far. Your chain doesn't look that bad. Practice, practice, practice! Soon you'll be crocheting granny squares around your Daddy! :-) He is very talented!!

Mary Grace McNamara said...

You are so right! Lucy's stuff is amazing! I especially love her choice of color.

Your chain doesn't really look all that bad, so I think with just a little more practice, you'll do just fine. I would recommend building on that chain with a few rows of single crochet, then a few rows of double crochet, just so you can get the feel for them. It might not be perfect, but we all started somewhere and with practice you'll get better too!

If you'd like to check out my video tutorials, you can just click on the crochet link at the top of my sidebar. They were made for beginners and you might be able to pick up some tips that will help you with your yarn and hook holding and your tension.

Don't give up! You'll love it once you build up a little confidence! And your dad will be so proud of you!

MGM

Needled Mom said...

....but, how fun!!!!! Once you get the hang of it you will absolutely love it.

Linda said...

Oh, you can do it. Like everyone else has said, practice, practice, practice...I like Lucy's stuff too but I also like Mary Grace's too. She's got some great videos, go check out her blog. Crocheting is fun once you get the hang of it...

pinsandneedles said...

Yes Attic24 is an amazing talent! Crochet isn't hard but it does take practice. Keep going and you will get the hang of it.

'Cause I'm a Blonde said...

but the book "Stich'N Bitch" After years or trying, Debbie was the only one who could explain holding the hard to me in a way that made sense! I had been knitting for about 5 years before I learn to crochet and I was very lost w/o my 2nd needle in my left hand!